The Biblical names and titles of Jesus Christ (Part 1)
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything He might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through His blood, shed on the cross. – Colossians 1:15-20.
Throughout Scripture, we discover that names hold significant value and meaning. They tell us something specific about someone’s character. The name of Jesus is significant. We see this in the angel’s message to Mary in Luke 26:31-32a; You will become pregnant, give birth to a son, and name Him Jesus. He will be a great man and will be called the Son of the Most High.
By looking closely at the labels used throughout the Bible to describe Jesus, we can discover a new appreciation for the ways Jesus ministers to us. A wealth of information concerning His person and work can be obtained from studying the names and titles ascribed to Him. Some of them are:
1.ADAM; “So it is written: The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. – 1 Corinthians 15:45
2. ADVOCATE; My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. – 1 John 2:1
3. ALMIGHTY;I am the Alpha and the Omega,” the Lord God says, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty. – Revelations 1:8
4. AMEN;To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. – Revelations 3:14
5. ANOINTED; The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed, saying, – Psalm 2:2
6. APOSTLE; Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our Apostle and High priest. – Hebrews 3:1
7. AUTHOR; fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. – Hebrews 12:2
8. ALPHA; “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” the Lord God says, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty. – Revelations 1:8
9. BEGOTTEN OF THE FATHETR; The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. – John 1:14
10. BISHOP; For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. – 1 Peter 2:25
11. BLESSED; which God will bring about in His own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, – 1 Timothy 6:15
12. BELOVED; To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. – Ephesians 1:6
13. BRIGHT MORNING STAR; I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give youthis testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star. – Revelations 22:16
14. CARPENTER; Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t His mother’s name Mary, and aren’t His brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? – Matthew 13:55
15. COMMANDER; Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people. – Isaiah 55:4
16. CORNERSTONE; built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.” – Ephesians 2:20
17. CHRIST;And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. – Matthew 2:4
18. DAYSPRING FROM ON HIGH;Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, – Luke 1:78
19. DELIVERER; The deliverer will come from Zion; He will turn godlessness away from Jacob. – Romans 11:26
20. DOOR OF THE SHEEPFOLD; Therefore, Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep.” – John 10:7
21. EMMANUEL; Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. – Matthew 1:23
22. EXPRESS IMAGE OF GOD; Who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high – Hebrews 1:3
23. FAITHFUL WITNESS; “and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.” – Revelations 1:5
25. FOUNDATION;See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic. – Isaiah 28:16
26. FOUNTAIN;On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity. – Zechariah 13:1
27. FORERUNNER;where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek. – Hebrews 6:20
28. FRIEND OF SINNERS; The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ – Matthew 11:9
29. HEAD OF CHURCH; And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything He might have the supremacy.” – Colossians 1:18
30. HIGH PRIEST, Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest. – Hebrews 3:1
WORSHIP AND THANKS, AND BLESSING – MHB 412
1 Worship, and thanks, and blessing,
And strength ascribe to Jesus!
Jesus alone defends His own,
When earth and hell oppress us!
Jesus with joy we witness
Almighty to deliver;
Our seals set to, that God is true,
And reigns a King for ever.
2 Omnipotent Redeemer,
Our ransomed souls adore Thee;
Our Saviour Thou, we find it now,
And give Thee all the glory.
We sing Thine arm unshortened,
Brought through our sore temptation;
With heart and voice in Thee rejoice,
The God of our salvation.
3 Thine arm hath safely brought us
A way no more expected,
Than when Thy sheep passed through the deep,
By crystal walls protected.
Thy glory was our rearward,
Thine hand our lives did cover,
And we, even we, have passed the sea,
And marched triumphant over.
4The world and Satan’s malice
Thou, Jesus, hast confounded;
And, by Thy grace, with songs of praise
Our happy souls resounded.
Accepting our deliverance,
We triumph in Thy favour,
And for the love which now we prove,
Shall praise Thy name forever.
Source: Culled from Willmington’s Guide to the Bible
To be continued!!
By Dr. Joyce Aryee, the author
For further inquiries please contact us on Tel Nos. 0302-772013 or 0268130615