My heart, my blood vessels and yours
Don’t we all panic when we hear our heart is not functioning properly? The heart is the engine room of the body and World Heart Day brings that to the fore.
Last week we discussed the basic steps to heart health and it was clear that it does not take too much to make our hearts happy and sing a melodious tune for years.
Today the focus is on factors that affect our cardiovascular system (heart and blood vessels).
The Almighty in His infinite wisdom grouped these risk factors into
1. Non modifiable
2. Modifiable factors (meaning we have the power to make changes)
The non-modifiable factors include Age, Gender, Race and the MODIFIABLE risk factors are;
1. Blood Pressure: we need to control that. Hypertension is a killer
2. Blood Sugar or Diabetes; control blood sugar/manage diabetes appropriately
3. Cholesterol; high cholesterol (the type of cholesterol does matter) causes havoc to our heart and blood vessel
4. Obesity; obesity is the one medical condition that does not require a second opinion. Let us manage our weight especially body fat
5. Sedentary Lifestyle; This kills not only our physical body but even our brain cells. Get moving. Physical activity aka exercise is medicine
6. Smoking; the damage that this canker causes is amazing. STOP IT and DO NOT inhale that of someone who is eager to move on to the next world
We can work daily on these six modifiable factors and today I add 2 factors that are interwoven in the six and impact our lives so much that it will be a disservice to humanity not to address
1. Sleep; the almighty factor that makes everything new. Not getting enough sleep will negatively affect every aspect of our health and our heart and blood vessels will not be spared that will lead us to Stress!!
2. Stress; this mimics virtually every disease you can imagine. It “abuses” our body and organs. Stress has a way of increasing fat in our midsection and around our organs and as we all know and continue to struggle with those areas signify “dangerous” fat.
Yes, managing our hearts and blood vessels is within our reach!!! Let us start today.
AS ALWAYS LAUGH OFTEN, ENSURE HYGIENE, WALK AND PRAY EVERYDAY AND REMEMBER IT’S A PRICELESS GIFT TO KNOW YOUR NUMBERS (blood sugar, blood pressure, blood cholesterol, BMI)
Dr. Kojo Cobba Essel
Health Essentials Ltd/ Mobissel
*Dr. Essel is a medical doctor, holds an MBA and is ISSA certified in exercise therapy, fitness nutrition and corrective exercise. He is the author of the award-winning book, ‘Unravelling The Essentials of Health & Wealth.’
Thought for the week – “Today someone will achieve heart health and another will start a journey to heart health. What about you?” – Dr. Kojo Cobba Essel
I look forward to interacting with you at The La Palm Royal Beach Hotel Corporate Healthy Lifestyle Programme on Saturday 30th September 2023 at 6am.
Let’s walk, exercise, network and share ideas that will keep us healthy.
By Dr. Kojo Cobba Essel